Design This Year’s Giant LATF Kazari
Represent the Tanabata Festival
Deadline March 31, 2019
For 2019, the Tanabata Festival is asking the public to submit designs for the Los Angeles Tanabata Festival’s 22 Foot tall Kazari!
In previous years the design of the festival’s official kazari has been designed in Japan. But we wanted the local community to have a greater involvement in the event, so what better way than to have this year’s kazari designed by YOU, the people!
It’s FREE to enter.
And if your design is chosen, you will receive a $100 gift certificate to Sushi Gen.
- Follow the festival theme: “Romance in the Stars”
- Used the designated template (page 2 of contest form, see below)
- Use art supplies such as markers, color pencils, or crayons
Participants can submit more than one design per person. The design can be submitted by either email or U.S. Mail:
- email: info@TanabataLosAngeles.org
- U.S. Mail: Los Angeles Tanabata Festival, 307 E. First Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012. Mailed entries must be postmarked March 31, 2019.
The Completion of the Community Kazari
After the winner is selected, LATF will order special paper to make the design come to life. The paper is ordered from the Narumi-ya paper company in Sendai. Then the kazari will be constructed with public participation. The completed Kazari will be revealed at the 11th Annual Los Angeles Tanabata Festival. The total height of the kazari is 22.5 feet: ball diameter is 48 inches, middle diameter is 48 inches wide and 30 inches tall, and the streamer part’s diameter is 48 inches wide and 14.5 feet in length.